April 11, 2020
Ultrachef's Vegan Tacos De Patas (Kickin’ Vegan Tacos!)
VEGAN TACOS DE PATAS (KICKIN’ VEGAN TACOS!)SERVES 6 - 8 | 30 MINS PREP | 15 MINS COOKING
Fire up that stove, crack open a beer, it's time for a lockdown party - Mexican style!
- 1 large carrot sliced thin
- 1 brown onion sliced thin
- 1 zucchini sliced thin
- ½ tsp of ground paprika
- ½ tsp of ground coriander
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- 100gm (1/3 cup) besan (chickpea flour)
- 50g of corn flour
- 200ml of sparkling water
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 6-8 taco corn taco shells
- For deep frying, 750ml vegetable oil
CORIANDER AND MINT CHUTNEY
- 1 avocado
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (firmly packed) coriander
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint
- 2 long green chillies, coarsely chopped
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 180 ml of red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lime or half lemon
- For coriander and mint chutney, process coriander, mint, tomato, chillies and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. add vinegar and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and fold through your diced tomato.
- Smash your avocado and fold through red onion.
- Combine carrot, zucchini, onion with the corn flour and spices.
- Whisk the besan flour with the sparkling water until it’s a smooth consistency.
- Drop vegetables in your batter and fry off carefully in your hot oil.
- Drain and assemble your taco starting with the avocado, top with vegetables and salsa.
- Say a prayer and try and not choke on the best taco you have ever eaten.
In 2012 Executive chef Pat Bowring was at the top of his game in the hospitality industry, running several restaurants, and living the relentless and hedonistic lifestyle of a professional chef. It was at this point that he realised that he needed to make, in his own words, some significant changes in his life. So, as most of us do, or have done at one point in our lives, Pat started running. Run by run, Pat found his focus increasing, along with his well being. Fast forward 7 years and Pat is a sponsored athlete, a coach, and an enthusiastic advocate for a life spent moving in the outdoors. Pat still works as an executive chef, however balances this with his family and training commitments. We are thankful to have him on the Salomon team, as he continues to dish up delicious food on road trips... and now online!